Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I was just demolished by John Deans in checkers :(

Today was a great day. My six hours at the Troy-Johnson Center went by quite quickly as I spent most of the day in the office pretty much being Ms. Jackie's assistant. I answered phone calls, helped her with her summer program schedule, volunteered to start up a website and Facebook group for the daycare, and submitted the article I wrote to the local newspaper. I got to meet one of the older girls in her after school program today whom Ms. Jackie said really needs a role model from a young black female....kind of like me!!!!!! She seems really nice and I hope that I will be able to connect with her later in the summer. Tomorrow I'm supposed to working in the four-year-old classroom and the adult center and maybe take a child and an adult on a walk together. Many people have commented on the healing power that being around children can have on the elderly who feel useless or lonely in their current lives. I hope to see that happening in front of my eyes tomorrow. Mrs. Jackie asked a lot about the B.N. Duke and Trinity Scholarship today and I told her that Duke is putting a new scholarship in place next year that is specifically seeking students from the area where she works. Mrs. Jackie and her family are so involved in their community and I'm really hoping that they can find someone to nominate to the program. That could really make someone's dream come true....just like it did mine! :)

After work, I headed to the gym for a quick cardio workout because I thought I needed to come back home early to clean for our big dinner tonight. In turned out, however, that Charlotte and Brandon had cleaned up the kitchen and living room already so I was off the hook! I picked David Womble up from work, came back and took a shower, and then got ready for our company. The mayor's wife and daughter came by our house for dinner tonight. The mayor himself had another engagement that was already scheduled so he couldn't make it, but his family was wonderful. My favorite portions of the conversation was the debate over Jon and Kate Plus Eight's fate as a couple and a family, the upcoming release of The Sims 3, and Hailey and my conversation on Steve Madden shoes. It was really great to meet them...and they invited us to an upcoming pool party at their house!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a good night! :)

After dinner, I challenged John Deans to a game of checkers because I was feeling confident after I murdered Alice last night....but unfortunately I have to say that after a few faulty moves of mine, I was completely demolished! I have to give up my props to John Deans for his extraordinary defeat. However, I do reserve the right to post this photo that I hope will embarrass him and make him regret his performance. Take that John!!!

Today was great (again!) and I hope tomorrow will be even better. :)
Goodnight all...

1 comment: